Friday, June 21, 2013

Gotta start somewhere

Enjoy the inane ramblings from the log of Captain Demkius Maximus, commander of the PS Inevitable.

Last weekend a friend of mine mentioned wanting to start a drawing blog, in which he would post a new drawing/sketch/whatever everyday. My response was "Dude, Awesome". Now, my drawing skills have always been somewhat minimal at best, mostly because I haven't practiced them enough (99% of the reason for everyone in the worlds ability/lack of ability at whatever they have/lack ability at is practice {the last 1% being natural talent and the occasional crossroads demon deal}) (yes I use parentheses, a lot, and I have no fear of the double or even triple bracket side note {I blame Math, people throw brackets around like they ain't no thing while Mathing and considering the number of math classes I've taken over the years it seems to have left an impression [Not that I'm a mathematician or anything, or even particularly good at it, the bracket thing seems to be pretty much all that stuck around]}).

Whew, where was I? Ah yes, my drawing chops are not that stellar and while that may occasionally bother me in a couple of vague, poorly defined ways, it's not enough to really inspire me to do much about it. But I write, maybe not well, maybe not "properly" (whatever the hell that means) but I write, and the idea of writing a short story or a portion of a bigger story everyday appealed to me. Particularly considering how many successful authors and writers say to write everyday. So I started writing, then I realized that the things I was writing were projects that I wanted to do well, and edit, and re-edit and maybe not release in bits and pieces. So I've written everyday this week but most of it I'm not ready to toss to the aether just yet, and I don't want to not write these projects just so I can post some random short story everyday. So I'm not going to promise to post a new story everyday, but I will promise four updates a week. Sometimes it'll be a short story, sometimes it'll be an essay or article (or a ramble or a rant, they all tend to follow a similar format), sometimes it'll just be me "talking" (like today), I also have a fondness for Haiku (Is there a proper plural for Haiku?... Just checked, the answer is no not really), excerpts from projects are not out of the question either. So that's it, beginning Monday June 24th we'll be starting with a favorite pastime of mine - writing back-story to compensate for plot holes in movies, sometimes in good movies, usually in terrible movies. The end goal being making what was once a garbled, hole filled, mess of a plot that only existed as a basic frame to hang explosions, action, tits, and various other special effects on (those are the big four) into something that actually resembles a real story. This is not always possible or worth while but can be quite fun, and a good way to workout your creative muscles.

But as for today, I'll exit with highest art - a hidden haiku.

2 comments:

  1. I think your blog's name gave me an idea for a doodle. Good to see this up and going

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D, this is how FIfty Shades of Grey got started and that was on the NYT Best Seller List....I am positive you can make magic here.

    ReplyDelete